Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Art of the Undone


I took a 2.5 hour nap on Sunday afternoon and it was one of the sweetest things about my weekend last weekend. Lately I find myself really thinking about rest. Wanting it, needing it, not getting it. I've been thinking about the ways that I rest or the results I deal with when I don't rest. I usually find myself rundown, cranky (Jon can vouch for that) and seriously lacking joy. I've got too many things in my life to be thankful for to be going around not having a greatful spirit, yet when I don't take some time to be quiet and decompress, that's exactly what I do.

I woke up this morning feeling optimistic that this week I am finally getting myself back on track in all areas of my life. I've got a few days off coming up and I'm really looking forward to getting some stuff done, but also doing nothing. For the first time ever, I can't blame my job for running me down (quite the opposite - being with the boys helps alot of times to remember what's important). I've only got myself to blame for the spiritual funk I've been in lately.

SO, it's time to put cranky, negative thoughts away and allow myself to be quiet, rest and refresh. Here are a few of my favorite quotes on this subject matter:

How Beautiful it is to do nothing and then rest afterward - Spanish Proverb

A joyful spirit is evidence of a greatful heart. - Maya Angelou


Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone.
-Lin Yutang

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

1 comment:

Alison Treat said...

Love those quotes! That's a great reminder for me, too. I also get run down and cranky! ;-(