Friday, August 29, 2008

Show and Tell: Circle Journaling



Hi Friends. I hope that you are off to a great Labor Day weekend, with lots of bbq and other picnic foods. We don't have too much planned, which I am looking forward to.

I wanted to show you this journal that two of my best friends from college and I keep. Have you heard of circle journaling? It is when a group of people all take turns with the same journal, sending it back and forth to each other, as a way of keeping in touch. We decided three years ago to give it a try. One weekend while we were all together visiting we bought this simple journal and off we went. Our intention was that we would each have the book for about a month or two before sending it off to the next person. The last time I had the journal was almost two years ago when we moved to Texas... so as you can see, we aren't the best in keeping with our original time frame! Let's face it, life gets in the way sometimes - babies are born, big moves are made, career and life changes go on... But we have kept it going, which I think is an accomplishment in itself.

I feel like this book is a time capsule. I love it. Every time I get it, I read it from front to back. I pour over every inch that is written or sketched on. It's pages bind our thoughts, our creative journeys, our lives....it's a pretty powerful thing.

I was going to show you more pictures of it, but decided to keep them between my girls and I. I will show you my favorite page - it's the very first page. Even though it is by far the most simple, it speaks volumes. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Claire, said...

Wow, that is so special.
My daughter Emily started HS this week. Where she was reunited with her best friend from 3rd grade. She is so over-the-top excited about the reunion; She was looking for a special way to commemorate it.
I am going to show her this post. She is a journal keeper, she has DOZENS and DOZENS so this idea is right up her alley. Emily is a creative tender foot and her friends are so special to her. She will love this, I love this. I think I'd like to start one with my sisters. I'm regretting never having done this before. Thank you so much for sharing.
Best warm regards.
Have a great weekend!

Jenny said...

I teared up a little reading this post. We are doing a pretty incredible thing by keeping it going, even if it does take a few years for it to circle:)

kristin said...

I agree with the other two comments - how SPECIAL! And inspiring. This is something you and your friends will have for the rest of our lives. Thank you for sharing. :)

Amy said...

Thanks for the great post Rose...I say even if we start the digital one we keep this one going too. :) At this rate we should fill it in 10 year. haha