Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Show and Tell

Good Morning. Well, it's morning here, I'm not sure what time it is where you are. But it's very early here and I am painfully aware of the fact that on my day off I got out of bed at 5 am because I was tired of laying there awake. My hope is that if I get some of the things that were buzzing around my head out of the way that I will enjoy a long morning nap! :)

My friend Megan has started having Show and Tell Tuesdays on her blog (you should check out her new plates she showed yesterday, they are beautiful!). I think it's a great idea, so this week I'm attempting a Show and Tell Wednesday, so here goes....



The house pictured above is a photo I took of the house where my father grew up. It was torn down last year. Prior to that it had been in our family for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what I want to tell you about this house - there is so much to tell.

I'm not sure if I should tell you first that all of my dad's family grew up in this house together....two of my grandmother's sisters and one of her brothers all lived there....

or maybe you'll find it more interesting to know that this house had rooms inside of rooms...as a child I used to think that I was the only one who knew there was a door inside my grandmother's closet that led into the hallway, or that there was a door in my great aunt's room that led into my cousin's closet and so on....

Maybe you'd laugh to know that in 30 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I went into the basement because it was just too scary....

On Sundays dinner was usually early in the afternoon... my grandmother and her sisters would get up at the crack of dawn and start cooking...always pasta of some sort. When we were all there visiting the dining room table extended into two rooms...the youngest would be in the kitchen at our own little table....

Perhaps you'd find it interesting to know that there were no showers in this house for the longest time, only claw foot bathtubs, which I hated taking baths in as a child...or that some of the doorknobs to the rooms where glass or crystal...or that there were key holes that had really interesting shapes to them...or fireplaces and grates that had the most ornate details....

For me this house was a collection of memories of my family, my grandparents, my aunts, uncles and cousins. There are details like the wallpaper in my grandmother's bathroom, the creak the steps made when you walked up them and the smells that were so familiar that will be forever ingrained my memory.

I'll be back soon with some additional photos of the house and some more fun tidbits about it's history!

Happy Wednesday Y'all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely house!!!! I cannot believe it has been torn down! That is so sad! I'm excited to hear more about it.

Unknown said...

Um yeah, you posted that at 4 not 5! Sorry you couldn't sleep! I was awake...working! Love the house. I love memories like that. They're so fun to think of! Have a great day!

good thoughts said...

No, it was 5 - the time on my computer may have been incorrect :)

Anonymous said...

I remember going up what seemed like never ending flights of VERY LONG staircases in that house...I know when I was there visiting with you, the basement wasn't even mentioned, but I do remember us getting scared at all the different 'places'.....rooms and doors, and the possibility of people hiding just about anywhere!!!!! I'm laughin' at the time correction b/c I can just hear (and see) you saying it, Ro!!!! ;)