Monday, September 8, 2008

Caught off guard


Hi. Last week I walked into our entry way and saw this image on our front door. I am well aware that we have two lizards that live outside of our front door, but it totally took me by surprise to find the silhouette of one of them on the door. I thought it looked pretty cool.....

Today I am thankful for a somewhat over cast day outside (of course,as I type the sun is peeking out) and some time to get caught up from the weekend. I was caught off guard this weekend when I got hit with a terrible stomach bug. Ugh. It totally took me for a ride and dehydrated me in a very short time. After an ambulance ride, two bags of iv fluids and some rest, I'm feeling much better. Thankfully it didn't last long.

I like these days, when I can just caught up on things. It's quiet around the house. I'm working on cleaning up my studio and finishing up some projects. I was all excited last week to get some creative energy back and got myself ready to do some encaustic work, only to then realize that it is debatable weather doing this type of work is safe during pregnancy. The wax that you use when doing encaustic work can be toxic if heated over a certain degree (which I don't do), but can also produce some fumes that I probably don't need to be smelling currently. So I'm packing it all up for awhile. I am working on this piece that I started last year (it's still in progress). It was a collage piece that I started in my encaustic class. I think I am just going to finish it up using some none toxic collage glues. I think I can still achieve what I want without the wax.


Thank you to everyone for their well wishes and expressions of excitement for us on my last post! This week we get to hear the baby's heart beat... :)

I hope you are having a quiet day wherever you are....

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Congrats on the baby news! Thanks so much for stopping by That Girl. I'm glad to have found another Austin blogger!

Claire, said...

I'm so sorry you were sick, yikes mama. Glad you're feeling better.
My 14 year old did encaustics in middle school art class last year, I've never done it but it sure does make for interesting and dreamy pieces of work. I got a piece for christmas which hangs in my art room, its pink with a blue river flowing through it.

funny story,
At that time, unfortunately, her art teacher felt it necessary to send a note home one week before christmas holiday to explain the unusual art work we'd be receiving. Parents were to act like we like them! She said, or risk making our artists feel rejected.
Can you imagine. I'm an art teacher and my husband is too.
Some parents and teachers are so clueless I hate public school very much.

Which also makes me think of a book you need to read, especially now that you'll be a mummy.
'The Continuum Concept; in search or happiness lost' by Jean Liedloff
It should be required reading for all human kind.

Alison Treat said...

Glad you're feeling better. That sounds scary--esp. during pregnancy. I'm so happy for you guys. I loved this part of your post: "I like these days, when I can just caught up on things. It's quiet around the house." Enjoy it now, girl, because come March, these days will be few and far between. On a more serious note, I've been thinking about you with Ike coming--I know you're not on the coast, but I'll be praying just the same.